Jason Mraz is an American singer-songwriter, born and raised in Mechanicsville, Virginia. Mraz’s stylistic influences include reggae, pop, rock, folk, jazz, and hip hop.
Mraz is of Czech descent through his grandfather who moved to the United States from what is now the Czech Republic in 1915. His surname is Czech for "frost." Mraz is a vegan. He attended The American Musical and Dramatic Academy in New York City, for a short time, studying musical theater before moving to San Diego. Mraz also owns an avocado farm in Northern San Diego County near Fallbrook.
Mraz released his debut album, Waiting for My Rocket to Come, which contained the hit single "The Remedy (I Won’t Worry)", in 2002 but it was not until the release of his second album, Mr. A-Z that Mraz achieved commercial success. The album peaked at number five on the Billboard Hot 200 and sold over one hundred thousand copies in the US. In 2008, Mraz released his third studio album, We Sing. We Dance. We Steal Things.. The album debuted at number three on the Billboard 200 was a commercial success worldwide, peaking in the top ten of many international charts.
Mraz’s international breakthrough came with the release of lead single from We Sing. We Dance. We Steal Things. titled "I’m Yours". The single peaked at number six on the Billboard Hot 100, giving Mraz his first top ten single. The song was a huge commercial success in the US with it receiving a triple-Platinum certification from the RIAA for sales of over three million. The song was successful internationally and topped the charts in New Zealand and Norway and peaking in the top ten of multiple international charts.
On January 31, 2009, Mraz was the musical guest on Saturday Night Live, performing "I’m Yours" and "Lucky", the latter with Colbie Caillat. "Lucky" has peaked on the Hot 100 at 48. With "Make It Mine" and "Lucky", Mraz won two awards for Best Male Pop Vocal Performance and Best Pop Collaboration With Vocals at the 2010 52nd Grammy Awards.
- Birth name : Jason Thomas Mraz
- Born : June 23, 1977
- Birth place : Mechanicsville, Virginia, United States
- Origin : California, United States
- Genres : Rock, pop rock, alternative rock, soul
- Occupations : Singer-songwriter, musician
- Instruments : Vocals, Guitar, Mandolin, Ukulele, Keyboards
- Years active : 1999 – present
- Labels : Elektra Records (2002–2005); Atlantic Records (2005—present)
- Website : www.jasonmraz.com
- 2002 : Waiting for My Rocket to Come
- 2005 : Mr. A–Z
- 2008 : We Sing. We Dance. We Steal Things.
- 2001 : Live at Java Joe’s
- 2004 : Tonight, Not Again: Jason Mraz Live at the Eagles Ballroom
- 2007 : Selections for Friends – Live from: Schubas Tavern, Chicago, Montalvo Winery, Saratoga California
- 2009 : Jason Mraz’s Beautiful Mess – Live from Earth